Thursday, May 21, 2009

Tour Songs - Episode 5

Well, it's been a couple weeks, so we got 2 for you. The first is a song by Lucinda Williams, called Drunken Angel and she wrote it about a songwriter friend of hers named Blaze Foley. I was first introduced to the music of Blaze Foley by my friend and musical brother, Rex Moroux. I was down in Austin, TX doing some shows with Rex, and he picked me up at the airport and he had Blaze on in the car. The 2 songs he played me were Clay Pigeons and If I Could Only Fly. These are 2 of the finest songs I've ever heard, truly amazing stuff. Blaze was a complete and total character and an absolute genius, he is missed dearly. Just last year his sister emailed us to tell what a fan she was of our music, she said that she felt Blaze would have really dug what we were doing. I couldn't have been more honored. I urge you to look him up and buy his "Live at The Austin Outhouse" Record.

We actually recorded a version of Clay Pigeons last summer in the studio, but have yet to let anyone hear it, maybe soon though. Here is mine and Rod's version of "Drunken Angel."



The next song has been floating around in our heads every since Rod started playing with us regularly. We used to play a club in NYC every week called Hill Country. After the show Rod, Shane, and I would come back to my place in Brooklyn and jam cover tunes till about 5am. Ooh La La was a regular staple at these sessions. So without further rambling here is The Faces' hit, Ooh La La.



That's all for now, see you next week, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment